Senior Formulating Scientist
We’ve been in the car business for more than 150 years, starting with the invention of the world’s first motor oil. Today, we’re a global leader in automotive services and lubricants, driven every day by a people-centered focus on innovation and service excellence.
As we often say, it starts with all of our people — and that’s where you come in. We’re looking for humble, hungry and smart people to help us power the future of mobility. If you’re looking for a collaborative and flexible work environment that invests in your growth and success, you’ve come to the right place.
Careers for the Driven
Valvoline has a rewarding opportunity as a Senior Formulating Scientist. We whole-heartedly adopt a ‘never idle' mindset. We also know that outstanding service begins and ends with our employees. So, we’re looking for good people to join our team. You bring your skills, talents and drive. We will give you a great place to work, a competitive salary and benefits, and the resources and support to develop and advance within our global company.
How You’ll Make an Impact
This is a creative hands-on laboratory role developing automotive chemicals and services. In the role, you would be responsible for:
- Functioning as a hands-on technical lead on large projects involving major customers or OEMs
- Preparing and leading on significant industry presentations, patents and technical publications
- Representing Valvoline on industry committees requiring political and business acumen
- Resolving various customer, production and laboratory problems directly
- Being a team player with a track record of good performance on cross functional projects
- Recording of significant contributions to bottom line via new products and/or cost savings
- Bringing new external technologies and methods to the department for Valvoline products/processes
- Other duties and responsibilities as determined by Valvoline from time to time in its sole discretion
What You’ll Need
- BSc in chemistry, chemical engineering or related field
- Minimum of 10 years relevant experience
- 10 years demonstrated mechanical interest and ability
- 10 years of experience in technical project management and interaction with chemical product development
- Special focus on emerging electrified vehicle technology and green chemistry
- Experience with supervision of automotive laboratory technicians
- Ability to present ideas, publications, write patents and statistical data analysis
- Must be physically able to work standing in the laboratory, mechanically in garage or service bay
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Driver's license and passport
- Must speak fluent English
- Some travel required, domestically and internationally
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
What Will Set You Apart
- Graduate technical degree, including PhD preferred, with industrial experience
- Experience/interest in ASTM, SAE or other professional organizations
- A history of patent, publications and collaborative teamwork
- Ability to speak Chinese, Spanish or German helpful
Benefits That Drive Themselves
- Health insurance plans (medical, dental, vision)
- HSA and flexible spending accounts
- Incentive opportunity*
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays*
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee discounts
- Tuition reimbursement*
- Adoption assistance*
*Terms and conditions apply, and benefits may differ depending on position.
Females and minorities encouraged to apply.
Valvoline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Are you good at what you do? Join us.
The Company endeavors to make its recruitment process accessible to any and all users. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, upon request, to applicants with disabilities in order to facilitate equal opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at 1-800-Valvoline or email 1-800Valvoline@valvoline.com to make a request for reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the recruitment and selection process. The contact information is for accommodation requests only; do not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications.