Senior Counsel (Real Estate)
We’ve been in the car business for more than 150 years, starting with the invention of the world’s first branded motor oil. Today, we’re a global leader in automotive services and lubricants, driven every day by a people-centered focus on innovation and service excellence.
As we often say, it starts with all of our people — and that’s where you come in. We’re looking for humble, hungry and smart people to help us power the future of mobility. If you’re looking for a collaborative and flexible work environment that invests in your growth and success, you’ve come to the right place.
Careers for the Driven
Valvoline has a rewarding opportunity as a Senior Counsel (Real Estate). We whole-heartedly adopt a ‘never idle' mindset. We also know that outstanding service begins and ends with our employees. So, we’re looking for good people to join our team. You bring your skills, talents, and drive. We will give you a great place to work, a competitive salary and benefits, and the resources and support to develop and advance within our global company.
How You’ll Make an Impact
The Senior Counsel (Real Estate) is responsible for commercial real estate leasing, acquisitions, and general real estate law to support Valvoline Instant Oil Change store development and growth. This role will also manage other real estate transactions including office space leases and existing store/property portfolio maintenance. This role will work closely with acquisition, development, asset management and tax professionals within the company and with outside counsel. In the role, you would be responsible for:
- Drafting, negotiating and finalizing commercial ground leases for Valvoline Instant Oil Change stores and for office leases supporting Valvoline Instant Oil Change, as well as other types of agreements for a broad range of real estate transactions including acquisitions, leasing, and dispositions.
- Working closely with the Property Management/Lease Administration team to handle post-lease execution issues and landlord/tenant relationships. Effectively negotiates resolution of issues.
- Analyzing and providing legal advice on real estate transactions, strategies, and other issues affecting large portfolio of retail locations, with a focus on problem solving.
- Working on ad hoc legal real estate related projects, including but not limited to, revising and updating LOI and ground lease policies, trainings, templates and processes.
- Working in conjunction with other attorneys on acquisitions and divestitures to include due diligence, drafting and negotiation of deal documents.
- Other duties and responsibilities as determined by Valvoline from time to time in its sole discretion.
What You’ll Need
Bachelor's Degree, a Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school; and a license from a state bar (i.e., have passed at least one bar exam)
Minimum of six years (eight preferred) experience practicing commercial real estate law with a strong emphasis on commercial leasing required (law firm and in-house experience preferred)
License to practice law in Kentucky or ability to obtain such license or in-house practice equivalent within one (1) year after starting employment
Extensive experience drafting and negotiating leases, supervising lease due diligence and resolving title, survey and entitlement issues
Extensive experience with general contract law
Ability to translate complex legal requirements into simple streamlined compliance processes
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build effective relationships, listen effectively and collaborate with others
Strong presentation, advocacy and negotiation skills
- Capable of working both autonomously and collaboratively; effective at juggling and prioritizing multiple competing tasks in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
What Will Set You Apart
- Experience with real estate acquisitions
- Experience within a retail industry
- Experience with ground leasing of out parcel developments
- Experience with construction contracts
Benefits That Drive Themselves
- Health insurance plans (medical, dental, vision)
- HSA and flexible spending accounts
- Incentive opportunity*
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays*
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee discounts
- Tuition reimbursement*
- Adoption assistance*
*Terms and conditions apply, and benefits may differ depending on position.
Valvoline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Are you good at what you do? Join us.
The Company endeavors to make its recruitment process accessible to any and all users. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, upon request, to applicants with disabilities in order to facilitate equal opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at 1-800-Valvoline or email 1-800Valvoline@valvoline.com to make a request for reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the recruitment and selection process. The contact information is for accommodation requests only; do not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications.