Senior Application Developer- Remote
- Job #
- # of Openings
- Job Post Information
- 4 months ago(9/7/2021 1:21 PM)
We’ve been in the car business for more than 150 years, starting with the invention of the world’s first motor oil. Today, we’re a global leader in automotive services and lubricants, driven every day by a people-centered focus on innovation and service excellence.
As we often say, it starts with all of our people — and that’s where you come in. We’re looking for humble, hungry and smart people to help us power the future of mobility. If you’re looking for a collaborative and flexible work environment that invests in your growth and success, you’ve come to the right place.
Careers for the Driven
Valvoline has a rewarding opportunity as a Senior Application Developer-Remote. We whole-heartedly adopt a ‘never idle' mindset. We also know that outstanding service begins and ends with our employees. So, we’re looking for good people to join our team. You bring your skills, talents and drive. We will give you a great place to work, a competitive salary and benefits, and the resources and support to develop and advance within our global company.
*Valvoline World Headquarters is located in Lexington, KY, but we invite remote candidates to apply as well. Ideally, we would like candidates located in nearby markets (Cincinnati, Louisville, and Nashville), but we are open to other locations.
How You’ll Make an Impact
The Senior Application Developer/Technical Lead will be responsible for leading developing enhancements for, creating new applications in, and supporting Valvoline’s application portfolio by working with a wide set of technologies to best serve the use case. Responsibilities include designing, coding, testing, debugging, modifying and implementing new or existing solutions within all areas of enterprise development including web development, middle-tier, services and reusable frameworks. Role also provides technical oversight and leadership, mentoring, and code reviews for a team of developers and manages day-to-day coordination of internal IT, business partners, managed service provider(s) and other 3rd party vendor activities as it relates to driving delivery for development technologies in scope. In the role, you would be responsible for:
- Delivering software design, development, testing and systems integration and build activities for the most difficult or complex assignments. Design software components and modules using appropriate modelling techniques following agreed software design standards, patterns and methodology. Create and communicate multiple design views to identify and balance the concerns of all stakeholders of the software design and to allow for both functional and non-functional requirements. Identify and evaluate alternative design options and trade-offs. Recommend designs which take into account target environment, performance, security requirements and existing systems. Review, verify and improve own designs against specifications. Lead reviews of others’ designs. Model, simulate or prototype the behavior of proposed software to enable approval by stakeholders, and effective construction of the software. Verify software design by constructing and applying appropriate methods. Design, code, verify, test, document, amend and refactor complex programs/scripts and integration software services. Contribute to selection of the software development approach for projects, selecting appropriately from predictive (plan-driven) approaches or adaptive (iterative/agile) approaches. Apply and adhere to coding standards and Software Development Life Cycle policies/procedures/tools to achieve a well-engineered result. Participate in reviews of own work and lead reviews of colleagues' work. Provide technical expertise to enable the configuration of software, other system components and equipment for systems testing. Collaborate with technical teams to develop and agree upon system integration plans and report on progress. Define complex/new integration builds. Ensure that integration test environments are correctly configured. Design, perform and report results of tests of the integration build. Identify and document system integration components for recording in the configuration management system. Recommend and implement improvements to processes and tools. Provide support during UAT and testing activities. Identify and report issues and risks. Participate in Defect Management activities.
- Ensuring daily operations remain stable by providing day-to-day technical support for all platforms, systems and applications and services in scope by working directly with users to assist in the research, troubleshooting and resolution of issues, which may require interaction with other internal IT teams, managed service provider(s) and vendors to resolve. This includes monitoring Service Now queue for assigned incidents and ensuring they are addressed per defined service level agreements. Maintain application support processes. Check that all requests for support are dealt with according to agreed procedures. Use application management software and tools to investigate issues, collect performance statistics and create reports. Handle on call responsibility for area of responsibility as necessary.
- Providing daily technical oversight and leadership to the team of developers. Allocate routine and prioritized tasks and/or project work and identify/resolve issues to ensure all parties are on track with requirements, deadlines and schedules for delivery of the requirements gathering, design, development, testing and implementation of work on time and within budget. Provide direction, support and guidance as necessary, in line with individuals’ skills and abilities. Assist with the hiring, onboarding, training and mentoring of these resources.
- Collaborating with Business Analysts, Product Owners, and other business users to assist with requirements definition and prioritization activities. Follow established standards, applying appropriate techniques to elicit and document detailed requirements. Provide constructive challenge to stakeholders as required. Review requirements for errors and omissions. Perform gap analysis between business requirements and the OOTB features to identify the configuration, customizations, extensions, and interfaces required to deliver the requirements. Translate functional and technical requirements into extensible, scalable and maintainable applications.
- Designing system components using appropriate modelling techniques following agreed architectures, design standards, patterns and methodology. Identify and evaluate alternative design options and trade-offs. Create multiple design views to address the concerns of the different stakeholders of the architecture and to handle both functional and non-functional requirements. Model, simulate or prototype the behavior of proposed systems components to enable approval by stakeholders. Produce detailed design specification to form the basis for construction of systems. Review, verify and improve own designs against specifications.
- Contributing to the development of solution architectures in specific business, infrastructure or functional areas. Identify and evaluate alternative architectures and the trade-offs in cost, performance and scalability. Produce specifications of components, tiers and interfaces, for translation into detailed designs. Support a project with the preparation of technical plans and application of design principles that comply with enterprise and solution architecture standards (including security).
- Providing subject matter expertise and technical solution leadership by actively maintaining knowledge in one or more development technologies. Provide detailed and specific advice and technical best practices regarding the application of the development technologies. Collaborate with other specialists, where appropriate, to ensure advice given is appropriate to the needs of the organization.
- Supporting monitoring of the external environment and assessment of emerging technologies to evaluate the potential impacts, threats and opportunities to the organization. Contribute to the creation of reports, technology road-mapping and the sharing of knowledge and insights.
- Working closely with IT security, infrastructure, application teams, and cross-functional stakeholders to execute and deliver small-to-medium size, OpEx and CapEx projects and initiatives. Contribute to creation of the strategy and roadmap which includes hardware and software evaluations and recommendations on upgrades or improvements to infrastructure. May act as the project manager to define, document and carry out small projects or sub-projects (typically less than six months, with limited budget, limited interdependency with other projects, and no significant strategic impact), alone or with a small team, actively participating in all phases. May act as the Technical lead for a segment of a larger project. Identify, assess and manage risks to the success of the project. Apply appropriate project management methods and tools whether predictive (plan-driven) approaches or adaptive (iterative/agile) approaches. Agree project approach with stakeholders, and prepares realistic plans (including quality, risk and communications plans) and track activities against the project schedule, managing stakeholder involvement as appropriate. Monitor costs, timescales and resources used, and take action where these deviate from agreed tolerances.
- Other duties and responsibilities as determined by Valvoline from time to time in its sole discretion.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Business Administration (or higher) in an IT related field or equivalent work experience
Minimum 7 years' of experience in applying information technology solutions in a manufacturing or retail industry, Java, Angular and/or RESTful APIs or other relevant development technologies
Has a full-stack orientation: able to follow data from its raw state to the way it’s presented to our users
Developing with Java 1.8 or above
Spring (core, MVC, AOP, Security)
Java EE Application Server
JPA 2 or Hibernate 3 or above. (or Equivalent ORM)
Java Server Faces 2
Unit testing using jUnit
Weblogic, Tomcat, mySQL, Oracle, Eclipse, HTML 5, CSS 3, and jQuery
Source Code repositories and Planning tools such as Microsoft TFS, Azure DevOps, Jira and/or Github Enterprise
APM such as New Relic, AppDynamics and/or Dynatrace
Session Replay such as LogRocket or Dynatrace
Object-oriented design development
Service side architectures and system design and development
Documenting processes and translating to high level technical requirement
- Web services, RESTful APIs, and service-oriented architecture
Software Development Life Cycle
Agile development technologies and DevOps methodology
Incident and problem management, coordination and resolution
Ability to work under general direction with minimal supervision
Ability to work both independently and on a team
Proficient collaboration skills
Ability to influence internal colleagues and external vendors, customers, partners
Ability to perform a broad range of complex technical or professional activities, in a variety of contexts
Willingness and ability to actively seek out new knowledge for own personal development and the mentoring or coaching of others
Ability to rapidly absorb new information and apply it effectively to develop new skills
Communicates fluently, orally and in writing, and can present complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences
Demonstrate an analytical and systematic approach to work
Ability to work well under pressure
Ability to analyze, design, plan, execute and evaluate work to time, cost and quality targets
Ability to make decisions and take responsibility for work
Ability to effectively resolve conflict
Expert analytical skills, attention to detail, troubleshooting skills and problem-solving skills
Ability to conceptualize, plan and build software to solve complex problems
Proficient at creating entire, often complex, applications
Advanced technical writing skills
Strong project management skills
Demonstrated ability to work on multiple/disparate projects at the same time and stay focused
Ability to efficiently manage a team of resources locally and offshore
Leadership skills, including the ability to supervise, lead, coach, motivate and work through others to achieve desired results
Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
Continuous Delivery - understand and apply Agile, DevSecOps, and other approaches for iterative development of production-ready software
Technical Design - understand how to leverage modern application architectural components (e.g. APIs, microservices, containers) to design modular, flexible solutions
Quality - understand how to design and deliver software that meets expectations for performance, business impact and user experience
Integration and Data Architecture - understand data and integration architectures to manage, transform and exploit data across the enterprise
Security - understand security requirements and use the frameworks and tools available to meet those requirements
Engineering - understand how front-end, middleware and infrastructure components interact and how to design solutions that optimize for the environment
Learning Agility - adapt to new ways of working and apply proactive creative problem solving in unfamiliar situations
Commitment - champion delivery team processes and protocols and constantly strive for performance improvement
Collaboration – partner and influence effectively within and across delivery teams and with partner functions
Business Orientation and Engagement - understand business context and goals and tailor engagement to business need in order to achieve goals
- Must be willing to be available for evening and weekend work where escalations, projects or other management initiatives dictate
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
What Will Set You Apart
- Experience with ServiceNow
- Experience with PlanView (Innotas)
Experience with Cloud and Open Source technologies
Benefits That Drive Themselves
- Health insurance plans (medical, dental, vision)
- HSA and flexible spending accounts
- Incentive opportunity*
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays*
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee discounts
- Tuition reimbursement*
- Adoption assistance*
*Terms and conditions apply, and benefits may differ depending on position.
Females and minorities encouraged to apply.
Valvoline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Are you good at what you do? Join us.
The Company endeavors to make its recruitment process accessible to any and all users. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, upon request, to applicants with disabilities in order to facilitate equal opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at 1-800-Valvoline or email 1-800Valvoline@valvoline.com to make a request for reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the recruitment and selection process. The contact information is for accommodation requests only; do not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications.