Quality Assurance Manager
We’ve been in the car business for more than 150 years, starting with the invention of the world’s first motor oil. Today, we’re a global leader in automotive services and lubricants, driven every day by a people-centered focus on innovation and service excellence.
As we often say, it starts with all of our people — and that’s where you come in. We’re looking for humble, hungry and smart people to help us power the future of mobility. If you’re looking for a collaborative and flexible work environment that invests in your growth and success, you’ve come to the right place.
Careers for the Driven
Valvoline has a rewarding opportunity as a Quality Assurance Manager. We whole-heartedly adopt a ‘never idle' mindset. We also know that outstanding service begins and ends with our employees. So, we’re looking for good people to join our team. You bring your skills, talents and drive. We will give you a great place to work, a competitive salary and benefits, and the resources and support to develop and advance within our global company.
How You’ll Make an Impact
The IT Quality Assurance (QA) Manager will be responsible for creating, maintaining, and driving a continuous improvement QA program and for overseeing quality control throughout the development of software at Valvoline. The IT QA Manager develops, manages, and executes all phases of quality assurance testing, including analysis of product requirements to produce test requirements, and development and execution of functional/system test plans in a multi-tiered environment. This role is responsible for the day-to-day supervision and direction of a team of QA Engineers in the planning and execution of various levels and types of automated and manual testing. This role is crucial to the success of Valvoline as it will be held responsible for defining and delivering a vision and strategy to ensure our software products meet user expectations.
- Build, lead and mentor a team of QA Engineers to improve software quality and help drive features to production. Player/coach of individuals across multiple geographic locations. Allocate responsibilities and/or packages of work. Delegate responsibilities as appropriate. Provide leadership and facilitate problem resolution and coaching among Product Owners and developers.
- Collaborate with the QA, development, and architecture teams to establish the process for clear and efficient operations and communications related to the overall QA process. Research, define, implement, and maintain best practice Quality Assurance processes including improved testing methods, practices, processes, tools, and test systems. Update QA process documentation, communicate to stakeholders, and hold regular QA meetings to ensure stakeholders remain knowledgeable about procedures, schedules, and KPI’s.
- Define test strategy, test development, test execution, tools, processes, and timelines for quality assurance of new and existing products and features. Define standards, methods, and procedures for test automation.
- Lead the quality efforts on multiple projects and/or a large program that consists of multiple testing tracks and applications. Daily interactions with the Software Development and Product Management teams to understand the requirements, explore new product directions, plan the necessary testing requirements for new features and product extensions, and collaborate with product management on final acceptance testing criteria to ensure the business requirements and/or feature documents are clear, concise, traceable, and testable. Closely work with the Release Managers and DevSecOp teams to build CI/CD pipelines and to ensure the successful delivery of software deployment packages.
- Assist in developing the Performance Testing Strategy and Performance Testing Plans.
- Continuously learn, improve, and optimize processes and ways of working. Analyze problems and offer creative solutions to solve complex problems such as reacting to technical limitations for test automation, late delivery of QA builds, scope creep, emergency changes, shifting priorities, etc. Be a forward-thinking thought leader and influence the rest of the organization on the latest tech, experience, and design trends. Work with the development team and DevSecOps to identify system deficiencies and escalate to appropriate teams for timely resolution of issues. Make recommendations to the quality assurance tools and standards to ensure that up-to-date industry best practices are being followed.
- Prepare reports and create Quality metrics, and dashboards by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data. Improve software quality and processes to measure quality.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Business Administration (or higher) in an IT-related field or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years’ experience as a Software Quality Assurance Manager overseeing complex activities or processes.
- 2+ years of experience in working with agile teams on continuous delivery of quality solutions
- 7+ years of experience in Software QA and testing with hands-on knowledge of automated and manual testing
- Exposure to the full software development lifecycle experience from inception to deployment in an Agile-SCRUM environment
- Understanding of best practices for Quality Assurance business processes and metric management.
- Experience in test automation, mobile testing, testing embedded systems and/or mobile consumer electronics devices
- Usage and experience with Azure DevOps, VSTS, Jira, or similar tools to plan and maintain agile workflows and work.
- Experience with automation frameworks, continuous integration platforms, test management tools, and/or other QA services.
- Strong technical skills, both functional and non-functional, manual and automated, ideally in a continuous delivery environment.
- Experience in creating metrics and ability to manage multiple testing projects.
- Ability to efficiently manage a team of resources locally and offshore.
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to supervise, lead, coach, motivate and work through others to achieve desired results
- Demonstrated ability as a team player who encourages continuous improvement and innovation.
- Communicates fluently and effectively, orally and in writing, and can present complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to analyze, design, plan, execute and evaluate work to time, cost, and quality targets.
- Ability to analyze requirements and advise on scope and options for continuous operational improvement.
Benefits That Drive Themselves
- Health insurance plans (medical, dental, vision)
- HSA and flexible spending accounts
- Incentive opportunity*
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays*
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee discounts
- Tuition reimbursement*
- Adoption assistance*
*Terms and conditions apply, and benefits may differ depending on position.
Females and minorities encouraged to apply.
Valvoline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Are you good at what you do? Join us.
The Company endeavors to make its recruitment process accessible to any and all users. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, upon request, to applicants with disabilities in order to facilitate equal opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at 1-800-Valvoline or email 1-800Valvoline@valvoline.com to make a request for reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the recruitment and selection process. The contact information is for accommodation requests only; do not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications.