External Reporting & Technical Accounting Manager
You know Valvoline, right? We’re a household name. We’re one of the most recognized and respected premium brands in the global automotive lubricant industry, we have a presence in more than 140 countries, and our customers have trusted us for 150 years. But at Valvoline, we’re never idle, so we still have work to do. We need good people to help us achieve our vision to build the world's leading engine- and automotive-maintenance business. That’s where you come in. Do you love collaborating with team members? Are you ready for a rewarding job that will help you grow your career? If so, join us.
Careers for the Driven
Valvoline has a rewarding opportunity as an External Reporting & Technical Accounting Manager . We whole-heartedly adopt a ‘never idle' mindset. We also know that outstanding service begins and ends with our employees. So, we’re looking for good people to join our team. You bring your skills, talents and drive. We will give you a great place to work, a competitive salary and benefits, and the resources and support to develop and advance within our global company.
*Valvoline World Headquarters is located in Lexington, KY, but we invite remote candidates to apply as well.
How You’ll Make an Impact
The External Reporting & Technical Accounting Manager provides hands-on technical accounting leadership within our finance organization, primarily focusing on external reporting. Areas of responsibility include decision-making / serving as an escalation point for the team, having a broader understanding of accounting / financial impacts, and operating with little to no guidance from leadership. Assumes leadership role to develop the junior team members and execute a strategic vision for the accounting teams. In the role, you would be responsible for:
Expected Risk Portfolio of Responsibility (routine versus judgmental):
- Proficient understanding of core financial statements (proper classification, relationships between accounts and financial statements, etc.)
- Accrual journal entries and reconciliation of complex accounting matters, including stock-based compensation and EPS calculations
- Preparing and coordinating information gathering process required for SEC filings (Forms 10-Q, 10-K, 8-K) with various organizations within Finance and across the company, including Legal, Treasury, Tax, and Investor Relations
- Reviewing various other financial reports required to be filed with government agencies.
- Responsible for compilation of financial statements, management’s discussion, and analysis, and footnote disclosures
- Performing and documenting accounting research and providing technical guidance as needed. Monitoring, assessing, and implementing new accounting pronouncements applicable to the company
- Performing XBRL tagging for financial reports filed with the SEC
Experience applying relevant regulatory frameworks:
- Understanding of GAAP:
- Broad experience in applying and remaining current with US GAAP, internal controls, and applicable local regulatory frameworks relevant to areas of responsibility (e.g., SEC, SOX, and IFRS)
- Example of GAAP regulations:Responsible for highly complex work that involves multiple assumptions, inputs, and stakeholders, completed generally through following established processes, and may include internal and external regulatory reporting for significant legal entities, intercompany, debt, equity, consolidation, investments, income taxes, acquisitions and divestitures, stock compensation, pension, and postretirement benefits, impairment assessments, contingencies, cash flows, segments, internal control, and earnings per share
- Internal Controls:
- Investigating and researching internal control items to determine the most appropriate resolution by regulatory guidance
- Implement process improvements to streamline the financial reporting process and improve information quality
- Individual is responsible for the management of people, process, third parties, and budget:
- Provide direct supervision and substantive feedback to team members and other internal/external resources to develop and monitor work plans, coordinate vital deliverables, and address issues to ensure key workstreams and responsibilities are completed accurately and timely
- Provide process supervision without removing task ownership by offering coaching and timely, specific feedback
- Coordinate external resources to ensure expectations are met, efficiency is maintained, and work is completed. Work collaboratively with external and internal auditors during quarterly reviews and annual audits.
- Consolidates inputs to an annual plan and works to ensure the budget is maintained throughout the year
- Other duties and responsibilities as determined by Valvoline from time to time in its sole discretion.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's Degree (B.A./B.S.) in accounting or equivalent
- Minimum of eight years relevant experience in roles with progressive leadership experience
- Demonstrate sound judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions and build a range of meaningful recommendations
- Utilize multiple sources of information identified through research, including regulatory guidance, best practices, thought leadership, and peer company approaches to develop solutions
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
What Will Set You Apart
- MBA or graduated degree in Accounting
- Public accounting/Big 4 experience up to 5 years
- Experience in retail/consumer products industries and/or multinational public companies
- CPA/Chartered Accountant
Benefits That Drive Themselves
- Health insurance plans (medical, dental, vision)
- HSA and flexible spending accounts
- Incentive opportunity*
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays*
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee discounts
- Tuition reimbursement*
- Adoption assistance*
*Terms and conditions apply, and benefits may differ depending on position.
Females and minorities encouraged to apply.
Valvoline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Are you good at what you do? Join us.
The Company endeavors to make its recruitment process accessible to any and all users. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, upon request, to applicants with disabilities in order to facilitate equal opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at 1-800-Valvoline or email 1-800Valvoline@valvoline.com to make a request for reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the recruitment and selection process. The contact information is for accommodation requests only; do not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications.