Application Development Manager (DASH)
Why Valvoline Global Products?
We’ve been inspiring and enabling what moves the world forward for more than 150 years, starting with the invention of the world’s first branded motor oil. Today, we’re a leading worldwide marketer and supplier of premium branded lubricants, automotive and industrial chemistries, and a business solutions provider to our customers and partners, driven every day by a people-centered focus on innovation and customer excellence.
We’re proud to be The Original—the first to see potential in things others overlook. Originals are the first to develop sustainable solutions. Originals move the world forward. At Valvoline Global Products, that’s what we do every day in over 140 countries worldwide. We create future-ready products that improve the performance of automotive and industrial equipment and services that help our businesses grow and thrive. As The Original, we’ve been innovating to solve problems for over 150 years. And we’ll continue to invent and reinvent the way forward, to always meet our customers’ needs – today and in the future.
Living out our values is what makes our company, our employees, our partners, our customers, and the communities we serve, great. It is our responsibility. It is what drives us. It is who we are.
We’re looking for people who care, operate with integrity, strive for excellence in everything they do, are eager to develop new skills to win, and show passion for delivering on our commitment to all our stakeholders. We are looking for Hungry, Humble, and Smart individuals. If this is you, you’ve come to the right place, and we invite you to join The Original!
Careers for the Driven
Valvoline has a rewarding opportunity as an Application Development Manager. We wholeheartedly adopt a ‘never idle' mindset. We also know that outstanding service begins and ends with our employees. So, we’re looking for good people to join our team. You bring your skills, talents, and drive. We will give you a great place to work, a competitive salary and benefits, and the resources and support to develop and advance within our global company.
*Valvoline World Headquarters is located in Lexington, KY, but we invite remote candidates to apply as well. Ideally, we would like candidates located in nearby markets (Cincinnati, Louisville, and Nashville), but we are open to other locations.
How You’ll Make an Impact
The Application Development Manager supports the director in the end-to-end landscape management, technology strategy, architecture, delivery, and on-going operations of Valvoline global solutions for the DASH platform by designing, deploying, integrating, and managing DASH and 3rd party applications in an Enterprise IT environment. Provides tactical and operational leadership focused on agile delivery within the listed responsibilities. Collaborates with business partners to deliver enhancements and global deployments for existing products, solutions, and services and deliver innovation and new application development for new product/project opportunities and capabilities worldwide. Provides support for developing the architectural guidelines, specifications, and technical standards related to the current and future systems and platforms within the scope of responsibility. In the role, you would be responsible for:
- People management of individuals across multiple geographic locations to include performance management, talent development, and succession planning. Allocate responsibilities and/or packages of work, including supervisory responsibilities. Delegate responsibilities as appropriate. Responsible for developing, managing and upskilling a team of IT professionals ranging from entry-level to advanced professionals.
- Responsible for leading and assisting the delivery of software development and implementation services, including requirements gathering, systems design, software design, programming/software development, testing, and systems integration and build activities. Assist with selecting and adopting appropriate requirements definition and management methods, tools, and techniques, selecting appropriately from predictive (plan-driven) approaches or adaptive (iterative/agile) approaches. Assist with gathering input and requirements from a diverse range of stakeholders. Negotiate with stakeholders to manage competing priorities and conflicts. Ensure changes to requirements are documented and follow the change management process. Undertake impact analysis on major design options and trade-offs, make recommendations and assess and manage associated risks. Review others' systems designs to ensure selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources, and integration of multiple systems and technology. Plan and drive software coding activities. Measure and monitor applications of project/team standards for software coding, including software security. Contribute to developing organizational policies, standards, and guidelines for software development. Provide advice and guidance on any aspect of test planning and execution.
- Responsible for ensuring daily operations remain stable by providing day-to-day technical support for the DASH platform solutions, applications, and associated services in scope by working directly with users to identify, research, troubleshoot, and resolve issues, which may require interaction with other internal IT teams, managed service provider(s) and vendors to resolve. This includes monitoring queues for assigned incidents and ensuring they are addressed per defined service level agreements. Draft and maintain procedures and documentation for DASH support. Advise on security, licensing, upgrades, backups, and disaster recovery needs. Handle on-call responsibility for technical support as necessary.
- Assist with defining systems development projects which support the organization's objectives and plans. Work closely with the Digital COE Product Owner to prepare a roadmap and strategy for the DASH platform for future enhancements and rollouts in other regions. Ensure that senior management is both aware of and able to provide the required resources. Monitor and report on the progress of development projects, ensuring that projects are carried out in accordance with agreed architectures, standards, methods, and procedures (including secure software development).
- Monitor the external environment to gather intelligence on emerging technologies. Assess and document the impacts, threats, and opportunities to the organization. Share knowledge and insights gathered by contributing to the creation and execution of the strategic roadmap for the DASH platform to ensure longevity and innovated technologies are obtainable; assist with developing service definitions, requirements, principles, and governance models to guide technology decisions.
- Work closely with IT security, infrastructure, application teams, and cross-functional stakeholders to execute and deliver OpEx and CapEx projects and initiatives. Lead and direct team members and third-party resources as project manager and/or technical lead by assigning/monitoring prioritized tasks and identifying/resolving issues to ensure all parties are on track with requirements, deadlines, and schedules for the delivery of the requirements gathering, architectural and solution design, development, testing and implementation of work on time and within budget.
- Identify and facilitate the communications and relationship needs of stakeholder groups. Translate communications/stakeholder engagement strategies into specific activities and deliverables. Facilitate open communication and discussion between stakeholders, acting as a single point of contact by developing, maintaining, and working on stakeholder engagement strategies and plans. Provide informed feedback to assess and promote understanding. Capture and disseminate technical and business information.
- Manage vendors and spend for enabling solutions and integrations within the systems and platforms within scope. Ensure licensing agreements meet our use cases and are budgeted and managed accordingly.
- Provide subject matter expertise by actively maintaining recognized expert-level knowledge in related technologies. Support and promote the development and sharing of specialist knowledge within the organization.
What You’ll Need
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Business Administration (or higher) in an IT-related field or equivalent work experience.
10+ years of experience applying information technology solutions in the manufacturing or retail industry.
4+ years of project management/leadership experience within IT in SCP/Hybris.
Has a full-stack orientation: able to follow data from its raw state to the way it’s presented to our users
Experience developing with Java 1.8 or above.
Experience with Spring (core, MVC, AOP, Security).
Experience with Angular 2+.
Experience with Java EE Application Server.
Experience with JPA 2 or Hibernate 3 or above. (or Equivalent ORM)
Experience with Java Server Faces 2.
Experience with Unit testing using jUnit.
Experience with Weblogic, Tomcat, MySQL, Oracle, Eclipse, HTML 5, CSS 3, and jQuery.
Experience with Source Code repositories and Planning tools such as Microsoft TFS, Azure DevOps, Jira, and/or Github Enterprise
Experience with APM such as New Relic, AppDynamics, and/or Dynatrace
Experience with Session Replay such as LogRocket or Dynatrace
Experience with ServiceNow is a plus
Experience with PlanView (Innotas) is a plus.
Experience with object-oriented design development
Experience with Cloud and Open Source technologies
Experience in system/process documentation
Experience with service side architectures and system design and development.
Experience documenting processes and translating to high-level technical requirements.
Knowledge and experience with web services, RESTful APIs, and service-oriented architecture
Knowledge and experience with Software Development Life Cycle.
Knowledge and experience with Agile development technologies and DevOps methodology.
Knowledge of incident and problem management, coordination, and resolution.
Advanced understanding of concepts regarding scalability and continuous integration.
- Proficient strategic orientation.
- Advanced leadership skills, including the ability to supervise, lead, coach, motivate and work through others to achieve desired results
- Ability to perform an extensive range and variety of complex technical and/or professional work activities.
- Ability to advise on the available standards, methods, tools, and applications relevant to the area of expertise and can make appropriate choices from alternatives.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan and build software to solve complex problems.
Expert analytical skills, attention to detail, troubleshooting skills, and problem-solving skills.
Proficient at creating entire, often complex, applications.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Benefits That Drive Themselves
- Health insurance plans (medical, dental, vision)
- HSA and flexible spending accounts
- Incentive opportunity*
- Life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays*
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee discounts
- Tuition reimbursement*
- Adoption assistance*
*Terms and conditions apply, and benefits may differ depending on the position.
Females and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Valvoline provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Are you good at what you do? Join us.
The Company endeavors to make its recruitment process accessible to any and all users. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, upon request, to applicants with disabilities in order to facilitate equal opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please contact Human Resources at 1-800-Valvoline or email 1-800Valvoline@valvoline.com to make a request for reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the recruitment and selection process. The contact information is for accommodation requests only; do not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications.